The Need to Remember (Hinasso) Deuteronomy 8:1-20
The Bible teaches us the importance of not forgetting the Lord and the importance of remembering His goodness and love for us. Truly there is a tremendous need for us to remember and not forget all of His benefits (Psalm 103). I would like to propose to you a few of the things we need to remember about God and also about ourselves on how we should live, what we should do and about the kind of person we should be.
The importance of God’s Word.
- We need to remember this year to take God’s Word more seriously than we have ever done before (v.1; Deuteronomy 4:1-14). How well we remember and obey the Word of God will be evidenced by the way we live and the decisions we make.
- Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” The Word of God will show us how to live a godly life. God’s principles will guide us where to go and what to do accordingly. There is no confusion in the Word. Some of us get our wisdom from the world, but God is suggesting to make His Word, His commands to be the way of life for us. If we follow the Word of God and take His Word seriously, then we can assume and know and be assured in our hearts that the Lord will make things clear. The Word of God shows us the path we should take, but it will also shows us when we are off the path He has for us. And when we fall away from the path of God, His Word makes clear the way to come back to the path He has designed for us.
- Familia, we should not forget how valuable the Word of God is. When we follow the Word of God, then we will not stumble as much as we use too, not as many mistakes because God makes clear the path. The Word of God is filled with warnings, filled with counsel, filled with answers for life’s relationships. Remember that we cannot live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord (v.3; Matthew 4:4). Jesus is the Bread of Life (John 6:35;41;48). In Jesus, you and I will never be hungry again. We will never be hungry for love again, never be hungry for purpose again, never be hungry for a sense of direction again, never be hungry for peace again. Everything will be satisfied by Him. We are too inexperienced to try to make it through life without a guide. God’s Word is that guide that brings life.
Live by a simple standard.
- We need to remember to live our daily lives by a simple standard that comes from trusting God and observing His commands (v.1-2, 11; Deuteronomy 13:4). This is the way of God. Life is complicated and becomes very difficult without God’s help. Everything isn’t always ideal because life throws a curve and can go sideways in an instant. But frustrations come when we refuse to live by a simple standard of trusting Him, obeying Him and walking with Him. We need to remember and be aware to guard our hearts to not ignore His ways.
Testing of the heart.
- We need to remember that life is filled with the test of God (v.2-3, 16; Deuteronomy 13:3; Genesis 22:1; Exodus 16:4). God will test and try us with adversities to prove our faith and constantly remind us that we can’t make it on our own without Him.
The blessings of God in the past.
- We need to remember all of yesterdays blessings from God (v.10-18). David in Psalm 103 remembers the faithfulness of God in his life and writes down specifically the blessings, the benefits he had received. When we are faced with problems that seems so insurmountable it is so easy to forget what God has done in the past.
Understanding spiritual activity.
We need to remember that spiritual activity is territorial in nature (v.1). Remember that spiritual activity has to do with God’s desire to redeem and enlarge your territories, but the enemy comes to restrict us from receiving and to never experience God’s best and blessings. Familia, Satan is looking for property, for territory in our lives, in our hearts, in our homes to encroach in and conquer. The enemy is committed this year to stripping us of everything we love. He is committed to move in on all territories that God wants you and I to have and enjoy. He is committed to stealing and destroying the treasures that are special to us (John 10:10). Satan will control everything that we don’t surrender to God. Satan will control territories that we don’t conquer for God.