Decisions For The New Year (Part 3) Joshua 24:13-24
by Pastor Cesar Crisostomo | January 20, 2019
Joshua 24:13-24Understand that everyone of us will make extremely important decisions regardless of what is happening in our lives and regardless of what’s happening even in our island home and in the world today. Also, remember that the decisions we do make will surely affect not only our own lives but the lives of the people we love and those within our circle of influence. The Apostle Paul like Joshua declared how sure he is of who his God is and what he believes (2 Timothy 1:12). I think that the decisions we make in life will be the evidence that will support who our God is that we are serving and what we truly believe is of value.
Summary from the previous weeks:First is the initial decision of how God fits into our lives. It’s a decision of choosing to have a relationship with Him and putting Him first and serving Him (Joshua 24:15). Secondly, it’s a decision to choose to embrace and obey the values and commands of God (Deuteronomy 6:24). Thirdly, we need to make a decision to truly trust God because it’s one thing to say God is first in our lives, but it’s another thing to trust Him completely. Fourthly, it’s a decision to make our family, our home a priority. And fifth, it’s making a decision to look for opportunities to grow in the knowledge and application of the Word of God.
Familia, I would like to continue today by suggesting the following that I believe are significant decisions you and I will need to make this year.
Making a decision to commit to persevere in prayer.
- The Bible is clear to teach that God hears and answers our prayers (Psalm 3:4; 4:3; 18:6; 55:17). I truly believe like most of you do that the Lord hears our prayers and will answer them but not always in the way we would like them to be answered. Understanding this is important as we decide to commit to prayer.
- Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
- Matthew 7:7-8 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; He who seeks finds; and to Him who knocks, the door will be opened.”
- Do you believe in God who answers prayers? If you do, have you decided to commit to persevere in prayer? How does your prayer life look like today?
- Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
- Proverbs 3:7 “Do not be wise in your own eyes.” Because it will lead us to the wrong path. Being wise in our own ways dictates the direction of our own lives and no longer led by God. Familia, you and I need to make a decision to be led by God even though we know at times that He will lead us into the wilderness. Even though it is not the place we want to go or the things we want to do, but in the end believing it is where we need to be and doing what we need to do. Do you have confidence in God to lead you?
Making a decision to give the burdens of life to the Lord.
- Truly there will be burdens and things to carry but the burdens will be lighter and easier when you and I decide to give them in full surrender to the Lord.
- 1 Peter 5:7-8 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
- Satan is looking for people who are anxious and worry because he feeds on the worries of their lives. When we are weighed down, heavy laden then we become vulnerable and Satan can easily devour us. He will eat away and destroy our confidence, our joy, our peace, our hope. Familia, God wants to take every care, worries, burden you and I have, but we need to make a decision to surrender them to the Lord. What are the worries, burdens in your life today? Make a decision to give it to the Lord.
Psalm 23“The Lord is my shepherd” – It begins with a relationship. It means that I have a relationship now with God who says He will guide me, lead me.
“I shall not be in want” – I get to enjoy God’s supplies for my life this year. It means that if provisions are needed, God will provide the very thing I need.
“He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters” – I get to know what real rest and refreshing is that comes from God.
“He restores my soul” – In the midst of trouble and sickness the Lord is saying, I am going to heal you.
“He guides me in paths of righteousness” – The Lord is going to guide and direct my life. Trusting Him and not leaning on my own understanding.
“I will fear no evil for you are with me” – real assurance of God’s protection and that He will see me through. I am not alone.
“Your rod and your staff, they comfort me” – The peace of God.
“My cup overflows” – The joy of knowing God’s abundant life. He will give me more than what I desired.
“I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” – The blessing of the future. Security and blessed hope for tomorrow. To be in eternity with the Lord.